Marc van Opstal studied law at Leiden University and has been practising as a lawyer since 1982. Towards the end of the 1990s he decided to specialize in family law, an area in which he is mainly involved in divorce cases and maintenance involving those who own their own business, where aspects of company law may also play a role. He also acts as divorce mediator and as a collaborative divorce lawyer. He has extensive expertise in inheritance law and partnership disputes. As a partner at BANNING, Marc heads the Law of Persons and Family Law practice group. Besides the legal profession, his passions include motorbike riding and playing the guitar in a seventies rock band.
- member of the Association of Family Lawyers and Divorce Mediators (vFAS)
- author of the chapter ‘Settlement of prenuptial agreements’ in the annual ‘Chronicle of Divorce Law’ in the series ‘Monographs on Divorce Law’ (in Dutch)
- member of the Association Collaborative Divorce Professionals and member of the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals
- member of the Collaborative Practice Center (www.collaborativepracticecenter.nl)
- Certified member of the Mediation Federation Netherlands (MfN)